Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Weighing My Food

I weigh EVERYTHING. After the food scale video, courtesy of Leigh Peele, I've decided that I CANNOT consume food if I can't weigh it. That's now become apart of by diet. I've found a lot of benefits to this way of thinking.

1. The accountable party is yourself.
Don't rely on the label, USE the lable to make yourself and your diet a reliable one. If there is one thing that you should know before you even go to bed, it's hat you are going to eat the next day. Which leads to my next point.,.

2. Planning ahead becomes precise.
Last night I planned out my meals before I went to bed. Not just breakfast but everything. Inputted it into fitday.com and then separately calculated the grams of fat/carbs/pro. I can now accurately measure 15 oz chicken, 3 oz broccoli, 3 oz spinach, and 4.7 oz of tomatoes. Sounds wierd but being accurate ensure that you are eating enough. I was missing out on 300-400 cal of food just by "eyeballing" it. Which could lead to a starving instant refeed if kept up.

3. Added knowledge.
My mom used to say that you learn something new every day. I now know that's not true. While a child, you do learn something new everyday but as you get older you have to seek out those learning experiences be it from a book or hands on. In this case I'm learning more and more how to estimate my food proportions by looking at them. I still measure and plan on doing so until I get to that lean state, but now I know what 8 oz of chicken looks like or how many almonds are roughly on an ounce. And all this can be applied to your diet.

4. The Leigh approach
Yea I know it's been "coined" by many types of pros and trainers, the "No Bullshit" approach is worth it. I havent been dropping weight because I ate too much food. And let me tell you, I eat clean. I don't like to eat food that is processed (not counting protein shakes) and if I'm gonna eat a cookie or something I make it myself and as healthy as possible. So now that I'm not eating too much I should drop at a steady even pace whole understanding what it takes to get what I want.

5. It's not fun, fast, or easy, but it becomes second nature.
I came home last night and was starving for my last meal. One scoop of protein and one serving of a greens product. I like this before bed. I grabbed my protein and then my food scale. This is what it takes. If you use a scoop without measuring, you run the risk of rating more than you should. For example, I was having an extra 80ish calories with my protein. Every time I drank one that's 80 cal gone.

Posted with LifeCast

No comments: